BioSS is situated in the James Clerk Maxwell Building (JCMB) of the Edinburgh University Science Campus called The King's Buildings, which lies 3 miles to the south of the city centre. It is on a city bus route which is served by a variety of buses, and is a 10-minute taxi journey from the city centre.
If you go to the Edinburgh University Campus Maps page and select the link for the James Clerk Maxwell Buidling in the A-Z it will bring up a map with the building identified.
This section of their site also has other maps of the city and other useful travel information.. You can also find us on Google Maps.
Finding BioSS in JCMB
To find the BioSS offices, enter JCMB at the main entrance, marked by the red dots on the graphic below, and go through the automatic doors into the main entrance hall. All the BioSS offices are located one floor up on Level 3 in Room numbers 3601-3621
- go up the main stair on your left, with the large grey portrait of Peter Higgs by Ken Currie, to the next landing. Turn left at the top of the stairs and walk towards the student seating area to the left of the lifts.
- if you walk straight forward you will find the lifts on the right and can take the lift up one floor to Level 3. Turn right as you exit the lift in to the student seating area
Then continue :-
- Go through either of the entrances to the seating area and turn immediately left.
- Exit the area through the double doors ahead of you and turn first right into the ‘36’ corridor. There is a BioSS sign on the entrance door to the corridor.
- To find our meeting room, 3620, continue through another door to the end of the corridor. You will find Room 3620 on your right.
Arriving by car
If driving from the North or West on the M8, M9 or M90, join the Edinburgh City Bypass(A720) and head east to the Straiton Junction. Turn off left to Edinburgh South and follow the A701 into the suburbs. You will come to the top of a hill called Liberton Brae where you will get a grand view of the city and will see The King's Buildings. Continue down Liberton Brae to the traffic lights, take the left fork at the juction into Mayfield Road and up the hill past the Braidburn Inn. Enter the KB site via Gateway 4 which is the first on your left up the hill.
Please note that parking on Campus is by permit only. Parking outside the campus where you can park is very busy especially during term time. Many of the side roads round the campus are restricted with priority parking for an hour a day. Parking on Mayfield Road is allowed between 9.15am and 4.30pm and you cannot park on Esslemont Road during the day. You can use this page from Edinburgh Council to spot the parking potential. If you have an arranged visit and are a blue badge holder or need to use your car please let us know.