BioSS holds an annual meeting in Edinburgh each year, giving a chance for interested parties to hear about the excellent work that takes place at BioSS.
Rob Kempton Memorial Lectures
Each year at our BioSS Annual Meeting in Edinburgh we have an invited lecture in memory of Rob Kempton. Rob was the inspiring Director of BioSS from its inception in 1987 until his death in 2003. Further details on Rob and his career are given in the Royal Statistical Society obituary.
- 2023 Dr Charlotte Soneson (Friedrich Miescher Institute)
- 2022 Professor Marian Scott (University of Glasgow)
- 2021 Professor Ruth King (University of Edinburgh)
- 2020 Professor Graham Medley (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
- 2019 Professor Michael Goldstein (Durham University)
- 2018 Professor Chris Gilligan (University of Cambridge)
- 2017 Professor Byron Morgan (University of Kent)
- 2016 Professor Chris Ponting (University of Edinburgh)
- 2015 Professor Richard Chandler (UCL)
- 2014 Darren Wilkinson
- 2013 Chris Glasbey
- 2012 Fred van Eeuwijk
- 2011 Rowland Kao
- 2010 Peter Green
- 2009 Gavin Gibson
- 2008 Chris Rawlings
- 2007 Colin Aitken
- 2006 Jim Smith
- 2005 Kim Travis
- 2004 Wally Gilks
- 2003 Derek Pike
Read about our 2023 Annual Meeting here.
Watch the 2021 Rob Kempton lecture from Professor Ruth King:
BioSS General Meetings
In addition to our annual meeting, BioSS regularly organise General Meetings to bring together all staff across our different offices. We usually meet in-person for a couple of days, rotating between Edinburgh, Dundee, and Aberdeen. These meetings provide an excellent opportunity for discussing research updates and carrying out training and skill-sharing activities, enabling BioSS to maintain strong communication and collaboration across the organisation.